On October 22, 1893, W.T. Perry donated land and lumber to build the first structure of Carl Baptist Church.  The church was dedicated and constituted in October of 1895.  The original structure of the church stood until 1949.  At that time a decision was made to rebuild on the same site.


The new sanctuary was completed in April of 1950. Later additions were made to the building and it was bricked.  O.B. and Ruth Kennedy donated a house located behind the sanctuary to be used as a fellowship area.  In 1972 a fire destroyed the interior of the church.  This led to extensive remodeling, which included stained-glass windows, a central heating and air unit, and new carpet for the church.


In June 1977 May Head Lovin and Dave Banks helped break ground on a new fellowship hall to be built.  In July of 1995 plans began for a new and larger sanctuary.  In the late fall of 1997 the new construction began.


June 2005 marked the beginning of great changes to come in the life of Carl Baptist Church.  The membership voted to change the name to First Baptist Church of Carl.  In May of 2006, the building and property was sold and the church purchased property just outside of town at 1588 Carl-Bethlehem Road, our present location.  Services were held in the local Lion’s Club building until construction was completed on a new building.  The first service in the current building took place in December 2007.


There have been 24 pastors at First Baptist Carl.  Rev. B. F. Elliott served as the first pastor.  One year later Rev. J. M. Williams, who was very active in getting the church established, became the second pastor.   J. B. Brookshire and C. A. Healan, Sr., both served as pastor on two separate occasions.  C. A. Healan, Jr., following in his father’s footsteps, preached his first sermon at Carl and also served as student pastor.  Other student pastors were Paul Wheeler and Solomon Dowis.  Both were students at Perry Rainey Institute located in Auburn, GA, a Christian college supported by the Mulberry Baptist Association.  B. R. Banks has served twice as Lay Pastor in the early 70’s and continues to be a very active member today.  He was licensed to preach in 1998 by Carl Baptist Church.


Other recent pastors include Rev. Michael Sullivan, who served during a period of great growth, and Dr. Ray Newman, who served as a long-term interim minister.  First Baptist Church of Carl called our current pastor, Rev. Tom Ham in the summer of 2007.  Mission outreach had an early start at Carl.  Sunbeams, WMU, G.A.s, R.A.s, YWA and Brotherhood were some of the first programs developed.  Mary Head Lovin served as director of Sunbeams.  Manervia Banks served for many years as WMU director.  As time has passed these programs have continued to change with the needs of our children and adults.  AWANA was added to increase the outreach to community children.


We plan to continue edifying the body through programs ministering to senior adults, married couples, singles, youth and children.  Our goal is to love one another and reach the lost for Christ.